Thursday, September 3, 2009

Weight loss and keeping focus

Good morning to my faithful readers out there....I am not sure if there are 5 of you out there, 50, 500 or 5000. I do know that when I see my patients I ask them whether they are reading these entries daily and i dare say that less than 10% of my them say "yes". Of course I am not hurt or insulted by this, but I do positively implore them to try to make this a daily ritual. Why? Certainly not that what I am writing is the most inspiring, thought -provoking prose that will motivate everyone reading it to lose weight every day. It is because I understand that for people to lose weight and keep that weight off, they have to remain focused. As soon as we stop thinking about our weight loss efforts, I guarantee that weight will start going up again. It takes NO effort or focus to gain weight...it takes LOTS of effort and focus to lose it.

How can you remain focused? Certainly, keeping an awareness of your weight by WRITING IT DOWN ON A CLIPBOARD NEXT TO YOUR HOME SCALE and acting quickly on any weight gain observed will help keep you from ever putting lots of weigth back on. Thinking daily about the reasons why you need/want to lose weight will help you remain focused. Getting a daily dose of your good ol' doctor may also keep your weight loss efforts on the forefront of your mind and allow you to make better daily choices.

When you have personal issues, work stress, etc. it is difficult for you to focus on "you". The focus is necessary and for you to lose weight and keep it off, you must remain focused.

2 comments:

Laval said...

Dr. Posner, I didn't get to see you for my final visit but wanted to express my thanks to you and your staff for an effective and practical program (lost 45 lbs). Your blog today is for people like me that have more weight to lose and need to remember the things that helped me achieve my success to date. For me, focus was critical during the program and will continue to be in the future if I want to keep the weight off. This blog is an easy and helpful way to stay connected!
Thanks, Laval

Anonymous said...

I just started your program and can tell you after this first day it is no walk in the park.
I won't lie, I fell off once but as you suggested in the packet you gave me I quickly got up and continued.
I love the food diary because it makes me emotionally aware of what the particular food or feeling is doing for me.
If no one else reads this blog I promise that I will be here everyday. I need all the help that I can get.
Thanks, Carmen