Wednesday, September 16, 2009

weight loss and tax

First, thanks Megan for the comment and now we are on Facebook??? laughing...your old guy doctor is soooo not with this new stuff....twittering, facebooking, myspacing...I do need to get into the 21st century,...you know, i still carry one of those old doctor bags in back of my car for whn i make a housecall....got it my first year in medical school..1977....laughing,..i am really becoming a dinosaur!!!

I have been reading with interest the concept of putting an "unhealthy " tax on things like sugar containg soft drinks and other food/drink sources that contribute to the obesity epidemic. I have mixed feelings about this. Certainly I believe we all agree that cigarettes shoud be taxed up the wazoo because thos who choose to smoke will have their health seriously affected and then we all "pay" for this by having to pay higher insurance premiums.

Perhaps do this yourself...i.e. "fining" yourself everytime you eat/drink a food source that derails your efforts to be happier and healthier. "rewarding " yourself (non-calorically) by healthy eating behaviors (massage, buying a piece of jewelry based on success milestones) works for many....perhaps for some "punishment" is a better motivator. The government , by taxing higher hurtful drink/food sources will make that decision for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. I am on my second week and I keep a picture of a dress that I want to buy on my fridge when I reach my goal but I will tell you very honestly this is really hard.
I have a walking buddy with whom I will begin to walk today but the weight is not coming off as fast as I had hoped. Perhaps that is better but I know myself and my knat like attention span. What else can I do??? I am seriously taking to heart all of your advice.
Carmen

Unknown said...

REWARDS WORK GREAT!! But for 'Anonymous', go ahead and buy that dress. Having it hang in your room, as my reward dress does, is more motivating then a picture! Also, if you wait too long, it may not be available once you reach your goal, and remember, you WILL reach it! :) As for the whole tax thing, please don't get me started, my politics will show! And then that just makes me mad, raises my blood pressure, and then I'll want to eat something! But yes, rewards definitely work. It works on my kids, so it will work for us 'big' kids too! As for the 'fine', having to face the music and get on the scale at your office is motivation enough for me.