Thursday, September 17, 2009

weight and the workplace

This morning we are entering the first patient into our community program, The Adam Katz Serotonin-Plus Work Ready Program. This program will provide our 12-week weight loss program at no cost, to a person who cannot afford our program and would benefit from significant weight loss in their quest to become healthier, more self-confident and more employable.

This is a very senstive subject, but I bring this up and look for your comments and opinions: How does being overweight affect one's prospects of gaining employment, or if employed, achieving promotions/raises etc? Does a potential employer look beyond the resume at an overweight person and think : "if this person cannot control his/her weight, how can the person keep the job responsibilities under control?" Is there an inherent bias against overweight people meaning that if 2 employees have equal credentials, time at the position, equal skillsets, will the gym-going, athletic person get the promotion instead of the overweight one? Certainly, the military is blatant about this...if you do not achieve their weight standards, the active duty person will not get promoted and may even face forced retirement.

Clearly, if anything, losing weight cannot decrease a person's chances of gaining employment and/or achieving promotions. It seems completely unfair that a person's appearance has any bearing whatsoever on this, but reality is often unfair. Let me know your thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fair or not, we just don't look our best when we're overweight. I submit those who would judge us for employment may even do so unconsciously (or sub-consciously?), as an overweight condition sends messages that one is out of control, or lazy, or undisciplined. The truth is irrelevant in this case; we are what the perceiver perceives!

Here's a twist: with an increased emphasis on 'telework' and home offices, how do you keep healthy lifestyle habits? While I don't always succeed, I try to maintain a few basic rules:
1. The home office is 'the office'. When I leave for the day, I stay out.
2. I never work in my pyjamas. Even though my wardrobe is casual, I get up, wash, get dressed and go to work. It's just a shorter commute!
3. I take a morning break, lunch break and afternoon break, just as I would in an office outside the home. I use that time to stretch, take a brief walk or play with the dog.

In short, I try to use the same behaviors as I would in a regular office, but with the benefit of being able to throw in a load of laundry now and then!

Anonymous said...

I actually believe that some individuals look at overweight people as "lazy" which I know for a fact is not true. I know someone who should be on this program,but somehow, she has more energy than most people I know.

Unknown said...

We all do it, even those of us who are over weight. I don't automatically assume an overweight person is lazy unless I see them sitting there stuffing there face with Hostess Cupcakes! Then the pity and disgust sets it. I think to myself, don't you have any self respect? But then I look in the mirror and say, wow, I'm the same size. Don't I have any self respect? Well I do and that's the difference. All of us on this program have self respect and want our bodies to show it. My biggest problem is with people who assume that since I am big, I'm incapable of doing things 'healthy' looking people can do. Don't let the fat fool ya! People always act amazed when they find out how strong I am, how healthy I am, that I go to the gym and do hard cardio for an hour at a time, do kickboxing classes, play rugby, etc. Just remember fat does not equal unhealthy just as thin does not equal perfect health. Those of us who are overweight just need to get it off so we don't enter the unhealthy category. For those of us who work at home:
1. Ditch whatever chair you are sitting in. No matter how much money you spend on a special chair, it still causes problems. You will still have back pain, leg pain and poor circulation if you sit there for hours at a time.
2. Buy a large Exercise Ball. That is your new 'office chair'. You will be amazed at the workout you will get from just sitting there at your computer! TRUST ME, YOU WILL FEEL IT!!! And you will ease your back pain and have better tone and circulation to boot! Unfortunately I don't think society will ever stop looking at overweight people negatively. It's human nature to be attracted to the 'pretty' ones. Survival of the fittest and all that. All we can do is change ourselves and support those who want to change as well! Good Luck, we can do this!

Donna said...

I don't think people are so judged by their weight today. I have been overweight for many years of my life and I've had a very successful life and I've made lifetime friends along the way. I believe it is more about how we see ourselves. If we think we are not capable, no matter how heavy or how thin we are, then we will not achieve success. A heavy lazy slob is no worse than a thin lazy slob. They are both lazy slobs.
A confident overweight person can be just as successful as a confident average weight person. Quality shows through I believe. Does a paper have to be typed just perfect with perfect spelling and with no mistakes to give out a good message? I don't think so.
Hopefully we are past that "looks are EVERYTHING" attitude. I believe it is "the person who gets the job done" is what matters.
Losing weight to get healthy in order to continue to live this great life, THAT'S what matters!
Thank you, Dr. Posner and your staff, for giving one more person that opportunity.
Donna