Tuesday, September 8, 2009

weight loss and exercise

I am hanging out tonight watching the U.S. Open tennis matches and I am thinking to myself if I had a better backhand I could have been able to make my living playing tennis. Okay, that is BS, I may have been able to make my high school tennis team.

Actually, I was thinking that when I run in the mornings, it is an effort to get up early, fo to thje treadmill and I am trying to think of reasons why I shouldn;t do it, run out of excuses, go down and run and then I am happy when it is over and glad I did it. However, when I play tennis, I enjoy this activity and it really does not seem like I am "exercising".

The point here is that we should all try to find the type of exercise that we find fun as opposed to boring. Some people love running...i do not, especially on a treadmill, but outside running is better. Some people loath swimming...too much time to shower, change etc.

Seek out activities that you enjoy, yet will burn off calories. Try to find exercise partners that will allow the time to pass more quickly. Do not force yourself into doing exercise that you loath because you will find yourself finding every reason in the world why NOT to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far I can understand all of the comments on diet and mind set. In fact, I started my diet last week and went off to the weekend to celebrate my granddaughter's birthday and family reunion barbeque and was pleasantly surprized at how I was able to resist birthday cake, rolls, homemade treats and candy. Chocolate to be exact. If you know me this is a real biggie. I have a magnet on my fridge that reads "life is to short not to eat chocolate or drink wine". However, to tell the truth I am going to need more help with the exercise part. At this point in my life the only exercise that I like is sitting down. I have problems with my feet and joints. As a child I was never very coordinated so what do I do???

Susanne said...

Dr. Posner....Today (Wed) my husband, age 64, climbed a mountain!(5200 ft.) Everything A-OK. This is such an accomplisment after going through heart surgery and then following the SP lifestyle. I'm so proud of him. You have been such an important part of all this! Thanks for everything.