Tuesday, September 8, 2009

weight loss: when to "start"?

Good morning....staying darker so much later now...ughhhh

Suzanne had a comment yesterday as to when to "start" a weight loss effort.

I often have patients come in for consultations and the prospective patient will say something to the effect "I am going away next week so I want to start when I get back...". The concept of "starting" and "stopping" a weight loss effort is a mindset that we try to help our patients change to soem extent. When you decide to become healtheir and thereby happier, the "start" should be that very second. I call it the "prison mentality" when someone wants to delay their efforts, because similar t a person who knows they are going to prison the next week, that person will want to "blow it out" before by eating and drinking lots. Also, for someone to lose weight and keep it off, there is no "end" of the process...it is a life-long effort to maintain the new healthier lifestyle..

You are choosing to be healthier , live longer and be happier with more self-confidence. The "start" of your efforts should be NOW and there should be no "end" to your efforts.

1 comment:

JSE said...

I agree -- I started today (right after my consultation)!