Friday, September 18, 2009

Weight and self-perception

Good morning...First, I want to thank all of the contributors yesterday to the blog with your fascinating comments. Very insightful and thought provoking.

Self-perception: Some of the comments yesterday were about overweight individuuals being perceived as "lazy" when, in fact, laziness has very little to do with weight problems. This gets back to the issue of self-perception and reality.

I have had a number of patients tell me that they never saw themselves as being overweight. What stunned them was an event, such as seeing a workplace photo and seeing what they looked like in tjhat photo. The reality of the appearance in the photo was contradictory to the self-perception of what their own idea was of the body type. I have had many people tell me they were shcoked when they saw a photo...and could not understand how their brain did not allow them to see that they were suffering from a very bad weight problem.

This is why I emphasis so much the issue of writing down your weight once a week and having a plan as to what to do if that number is not to your liking...whether it be visits to my program, following a caloric restricted diet on your own, weight watchers or whatever, it is important to face "reality" at least once a week, because the brain can sometimes play tricks on us as this relates to self-perception. feel free to comment...I enjoy very much reading what you guys and gals think about these issues....makes me a better doctor...and I don't have to pay you for the consult!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate the camera! Why is it that I see myself one way in the mirror but then I'm horrified when I see myself on film? That is why I take the pictures! I don't want to be in them! I have a huge problem with self perception. I was raised that fat is ugly, so since I am fat that means I am ugly. Everyone says I'm beautiful, but I truly believe they are lying to me just to make me feel better about myself. When you are raised to believe that no one will ever love you if you are fat, it becomes ingrained in your head and is hard to overcome. After seeing pictures of myself, it takes me a long time to even want to leave the house! That is one reason why I said in an earlier blog to remove all of the negative people from your life as best as you can. They will always bring you down. I look forward to the day I can look into the mirror and see what they say they see.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your daily blog. It keeps me on track as a 30 lb weight loss graduate of your program. I always tell good things about you and your staff and your program to people who noticed I have lost a lot of weight.

Sarah Kindrick

Anonymous said...

Hi fellow bloggers.. there is one other thing that struck me as I started on my goals for wieght loss and possibly others have had this perception as well. Finding we CAN belong to the "athelete club" no mater what size we are. A good friend who noticed I was starting to loose those first few pounds said why don't you meet up with me to run on the weekends and we can train to run a 1/2 marathon. My first thought.. I could never do that. Those runners are super thin, super fit.. I don't look like those pictures on Runner's World Magazine. Thankfully, my friend did not give me the chance to open my mouth.. he just set the time and place and we got started. How often do we sabatoge our own efforts because we just can't picture ourselves being that magazine cover, mountain climber, cyclist..

Well race day came. My friend couldn't be with me but I just put my head down and said time to step out of the comfort zone.. the box I PUT MYSELF IN.. Folks I'm here to tell you there were more than plenty of people on that road that looked just like me and even some more weight challenged than I. Yes there were the super charged picture perfect atheletes flying by but I was more inspired and transformed by the teachers, moms, everyday guy first timers. The ones stepping into this challenge and crossing that finish with tears in their eyes. They were there to break that big time barrier holding them back...THEMSELVES!

Perception goes many ways. What do we see of ourselves? From that moment forward I no longer asked can I be an athelete. I am an athelete.

Unknown said...

to the anonymous runner- THAT IS FANTASTIC!! I am soooo hoping to get back into running. The best advise for running/jogging is to never stop. Once you start walking, it's all over. We'll look like we are bouncing down the road, but who cares! DO NOT STOP no matter how slow you are going, keep bouncing! I hate it when I am with someone in a car, or where ever and they make a rude comment about an overweight person jogging down the street. I want to slap them SOOOO hard!! I usually turn and look them straight in the eye and say, 'I don't see you out there trying to improve yourself!' I'm proud of those who get out and are working hard to improve themselves! NEVER be embarrassed to get out there and do something! At least you can say you are trying! :)