Monday, September 14, 2009

Weight loss and "buddying up"

First, thank you very much Carmen for your nice comment...sometimes I wonder how many people are following this and whether it is being helpful, so your comment gives me motivation to wake up bleary eyed (laughing..guess all of you notice the typos i make) and write this daily.

Today's sermon, oops, I mean entry, is about finding people to "buddy up" with on your weight loss efforts. Often, we are self-conscious about our plan to lose weight...fear of failure...fear of being isolated, etc. However, you can bet that there are many people in your circle of friends, relatives, co-workers etc that want to lose weight. Seeking them out and asking them to work together on these efforts can be quite helpful. From sharing recipes, to starting exercise together to lending eahc other support...all of these and more can be accomplished by having others "be with you" along the journey.

Post something on a community bulletin board at work...gently approach a close friend or relative and pithc the idea...do not be afraid to be the "leader" of a group that creates a fun competition such as a "biggest loser" event.

Having others with you along the pathway to become healthier and happier can make your efforts much easier!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

I have an ideal situation where as my hubby is my work out partner. With him being away for the past week, it has been harder for me to get motivated. (But I did make it to the gym a few times). We enjoy hiking trails in the many local parks together plus going to the gym. We've been on this SP program together and have been encouragement for each other especially during the weight loss process. Of course, being a retired couple does have it benefits. We pretty much make our own schedule.
Finally, today he returns home from his mountain climbing trip where he has conquered 3 (5200+ ft mountains) and I'm sure he's thinking..
Hiking gear $300.00
5 nights in a hotel $500.00
Feeling in the BEST of health and creating lasting memories with his son....PRICELESS.
Now, as long as he's not expecting me to keep up with him!
Finding an exercise you like to do and a "buddy" to do it with really helps. My favorite cardio class is Zumba, just can't talk hubby into that one!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I can not go to family for support about my weight. I have certain family members that have been pretty awful over the years over my weight and frankly I do not want to include them in my success. Ok, enough venting! BUT! I do have fantastic friends who have been amazing and SO supportive. One in particular got me to join her gym and we now have a friendly competition over Facebook to see who gets to the gym the most every week! Sometimes all you need are simple things to keep you going. I have always been a competitive person and now that I got that part of my personality into the game, it has been a lot easier to stay focused. Do whatever you have to do for you and remove all negative people from your life as best as you can. I did, and I'm a happier person for it!

zelda1 said...

I see you used my "idea" in your blog....thanks for sharing. We had a total loss of 279lbs in our "biggest Loser" contest.
Each person gave $10.00. The biggest loser lost 41lbs in 12 weeks and won $400.00, the bigger loser lost 22lbs and won $200.00, the big loser lost 18lbs and won $100.00 and a gift basket. The top 3 winners each got a personalize plaque. Each member from the "losing" team (the team that collectively lost the most weight) won $40 each and a small gift basket. There was a healthy luncheon for the awards ceremony. It was a great fellowship, with testimonies and supportive talks. One participant lost a little over 10lbs and her blood pressure medication was cut in half. During lunch a slide show was put together with "health tips". It was a great time and even though money may have been a motivator, people changed thier eating habits and saw the results.

Zelda Folk-Smith