Sunday, December 13, 2009

weigtht loss and airports

No, I am not writing this entry at 1am..rather, I am in the Vegas airport ready to hop the redeye back to DC.

Tonight when I got close to my gate I saw a huge line in front of one of those pretel and cinammon bun places. Talking about calories! this cream topping is supplied for only a small amount of money extra, and people were going to town on those sticks and the topping. It is 10PM here.....I would imagine that most people ready to leave Vegast 11PM had earlier in the evening found their way into a famous Vegas buffet or other high-caloric dinner venue. So why then this sabotaging dessert choice? Boredome waiting for their plane? Concern that hunger will occur during the flight so a preemptive intake? Other reason.

Bottom line: if someone is in mode to lose weight, eating airport snacks.,.,,ice cream, pretzels, Cinnamon sticks etc will derail your efforts. Plan your meals to avoid having to choose food sources in airports.

Now to my flight....see you Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Friends.. in a similar vien to Dr. Posner's post today, I had a weekend experience that got me thinking. Basicially the strong associations we make in our surroundings as cues to eat.. and sometimes with little recognition of how much is consumed.

It had been a while since I had gone to the movies. With the fees that hit you from ticket sales to concession stand, I had resolved long ago that I would come out better in this venue by only purchasing tickets. This started mainly as a budget consideration and later had the added benefit of not taking in hidden calories with concessions.

My strategy.. eat, drink before going so not tempted to spend money on food there. Also gum in pocket to combat desires for chewing.

Well, there we were, Saturday, settled into seats. GREAT holiday movie in play and then, at several low-toned, heartfelt, dialogue sections of the flick, I had the surround sound vibrations of crunching and munching with added candy wrapper cracklings of two adjacent audience members over riding the moments.

At first I just viewed it as being early in the movie and the person not realizing their crunching was being heard by those around them. When this continued over and again throughout the movie, I could not help but think, with the voratious pace of the person eating.. how many calories were being taken in so quickly and if asked about it.. would the person even remember the speed or amount of their eating.

Some might expect me to be upset by the interruptions, I found myself; however, more saddened by the experience. With the noisy eating continuing, I reasoned this was beyond a person responding to first pangs of hunger. I was likely hearing the trappings and strong associations we connect of going to the movies equalling popcorn, soda and eating, eating, eating. In that darkened relaxed place, caught up in a movie story, awareness can be easily lost.. not only of what distraction one might be creating by eating but also realizing how much is eaten. With a popcorn, soda or candy purchase at the finger tips, the signal to stop eating in this dark space might not happen until a hand scans over an empty wrapper or the bottom of a popcorn bucket.

So, in returning my attention to the film I decided to say a quiet word of support for my fellow movie goers.. hoping weight was not a concern for them, or if it was, hoping information and changes might follow down the road in this environment that, like seeing a stage play, might reserve drinking and eating to either preview or intermission time outside theatre doors.

Overall, the movies.. a great place to invision and imagine sometimes the unimaginable...

NOT; however, a place I put on ANY SPOT of my list as, hey..let's go there to eat.. So why do we???? Food for thought... or maybe better stated in this case as THOUGHT before food... Healthy Holidays 2 ALL!! DH44