Sunday, December 27, 2009

weight loss and age

First of all, before we start, just a bit of a football update...Giants need to win out by beating the Panthers and the Vikings and then they need Green Bay or Dallas to lose one of their games over the next 2 weeks. Dallas plays the Skins tonight. GO REDSKINS HAIL TO THE REDSKINS I AM ROOTING FOR DAN SYNDER TO SMILE TONIGHT

Okay, back to business....last week I had several patients enter the program with their initial goal being unrealistic..they wanted to get back to their college weight.

Setting a realistic weight goal is important but it must be remembered that our bodies' change as we age and metabolism slows down. Heck, I went off to college 155 pounds..if I weighed tha now my patients would think I had a malignancy.

Do not look at the charts...the ideal weight for you will take into account lots of factors and we are available to help you determine what an ideal (and realistic) weight shoudl be for you.

Do not set your goal too difficult to maintain...getting there is one thing..maintenance is an entirely different picture.

Aim for a weight that keeps you healthy, off some medications that were there only because of the weight and a weight that makes you feel attractive to yourself . Ask our opinion as to what that weight is for you.

1 comment:

mm said...

Thanks for posting this about goal weight being too low. This week I will come for my 12 week weigh in...I do hope you are working--it's been a while since we chatted. Anyway, I am down from 163 to 138. I feel amazing and have dropped from a size 14 to a size 8. I haven't weighed this since I was 29...and now I am 40. But in my head I keep thinking...I really should be in the 120's....the BMI index scale puts me at the very top of "normal" at 138. After reading your post I think I really need to talk this through this week during my office visit.

I know maintenance will be far harder than losing...I want to be real about it.

I also want to thank you for your daily postings - even though I keep missing you in the office, I find reading your daily postings inspiring...almost as much as my daily exercise---seriously! I appreciate the shot in the arm it gives me to keep going. I look forward to continuing the daily read :)