Tuesday, December 15, 2009

weight loss and resolve

Intellectually, we know all the reasons why we want to lose weight....the improved health, lessening the risks of serious medical problems, ridding ourselves of medications that would no longer be needed, looking younger, having a higher self-esteem, etc. Our intelligence part of the brain tells us these reasons daiky. Then why is it so difficult to follow through on this plan? Clearly there is another part of our brain that is instinctually driven that almost compells us to eat the high-calorie food sources.

To lose weight requires constant thinking and planning. To gain weight requires no thougjt at all...do what is fun and do what feels good.

Try to think of ways to allow the intellectual part of your brain to tise above the instinctual part. As soon as we stop thinking about it, we are almost guaranteed to go vback to old behaviors and that will result in weight gain.

1 comment:

mm said...

This is a timely post since I was just discussing menu choices for Christmas eve and Christmas day dinner with my sister. I was making an argument for salmon on Christmas day as opposed to a heavy roast and more green less heavy sides. My argument was that leftovers are often left here and I didn't really want to blow my 25 pound weight loss and cook a meal that wasn't meeting my needs. So, not only am I not "fun" but I am also what she described as high maintenance. So my menu is planned and if she chooses to bring a roast or heavy sides, I instructed her to take them back home as her leftovers.

So as I end my babbling I am now realizing that staying committed is sometimes far easier with extended family around.

I found a great website to support our ongoing efforts, www.livestrong.com -- you can also download it on your blackberry and the food tracking is amazing. The website is free, the application is 4 dollars. WELL worth the cost.

Happy Holidays