Saturday, December 5, 2009

weight loss and maintenance

First, I want to thank the people who posted some very nice comments and also the patients and staff who were a part of our event last nite. We missed our patients who could not make it and do wish to thank you again for being our patients.

This past week we had a number of patients return to our practice who were with us awhile ago and unfortunately put on a significant amount of weight that they had lost. I emphasized to these patients (and to those of you who may have done this and have not come back in) that we understand this completely and there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Many of these patients told me that they hesitated to pick up the phone and call us because of the embarrassment factor.

As much as we tell ourselves that there is no "finish line", when we exit the formal visits of a program psychologically we tend to perceive a finish line and start returning to old behavior patterns. As this relates to eating behaviors this will result in weight gain.

I implore every one reading this to write your weight down once a week next to your scale at home and if that weight goes up 5 pounds from when you exit our program, CALL US. This becomes a one time visit...not a multiple week, thousand dollar program. We will refocus you, provide you with a medical jumpstart again and you will lose those 5 pounds quickly. Unfortunately if 30 pounds or more goes back on it is a full program again.

This is hard...nothing easy about losing weight and maintaining. We are here to help you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am shocked at how true your statement is about the "psychological finish line". I just finished my 1st 12 weeks very successfully, and still have a significant amount of weight to loose. I am UNpleasantly surprised at how easily my mind rationalizes succombing to the temptations now that I'm "finished." - which I am NOT finished loosing weight! Fortunately I was able to join a weight watchers program at my work and still have a weekly accountability point - which is mentally critical for me. Wow, the mind is powerful!!!
Thanks for all you do, and congrats on 21 years! I will be back after the 1st of the year!