Tuesday, May 11, 2010

weight loss and "dieting"

I saw the cover design for our new book coming out..The name of the book is "The Serotonin Solution to Never Dieting Again" As you all know from my previous rants, losing weight and keeping that weight off is NOT a matter of "dieting". Every book about weight loss that comes out includes the word "Diet" at the end. When we use the word "Diet" we envision a limited period of time in which we will change our eating behaviors. Often there is a "fad" associated with it...from The Grapfruit Diet to The Cookie Diet....fads mean a radical departure from a normalized dietary intake to something that is not realistic or sustainable.

To lose weight and keep that weight off requires a life style change, NOT a "diet". We all intuitively know this yet we are all searching for the magic "diet" that is easy , allows us to go back to old behaviors when "over, etc. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but no such thing exists. Losing weight and keeping that weight off requires lots of work and behavior modification/life-style changes. We must get rid of the word "Dieting".

1 comment:

brownsugar722 said...

Life style change particularly relates to exercise. When I was in college, I used to walk everywhere. I did not have a car and I could not afford taxis so I just walked. Then I graduated and later got a cushy job as a software engineering consultant. I bought several lovely cars and stopped walking or even taking the metro. I sit down at my computer all day and occasionally go for happy hour with colleagues. We ate loads of appetizers and sipped martinis. My husband and I were always looking for new restaurants with great food. Guess what? Now I am fat. I tried all types of diet programs. None worked long or short term because it was supposed to be something with a beginning and an end. I would weigh in on Saturday and go for brunch on Sunday. Then get back on my diet on Monday. Duh!! I wasn't successful.
You have to be ready for an overall life style change. A complete overhaul. Still go out and socialize but make different and more beneficial choices. Oh and yes, working out can be fun. A couple of months ago, I witnessed a woman jogging on the street. She looked very graceful as she bounded through the neighborhood. I wondered what on earth made her get up so early on a Saturday and dive into her jogging shoes. The answer, of course, is that she moved beyond the "need" to exercise and entered that mysterious land where she "wants" to. During these past 6 weeks I found that place. I had heard someone refer to it as the "fun factor". At the time I thought they had got off the deep end. Fun? But now I get it. Exercise for me became fun when I minimized monotony and maximized enjoyment.