Wednesday, May 5, 2010

weight loss and reality shows

Sorry..I must rant this mornign a bit about "reality" shows that involve people trying to lose weight. What is at all "reality" about someone being filmed and PAID to lose weight?

Here is reality: we all have jobs, families, stress issues, etc...if we find ourselves in a weight control problem, no one is paying us or putting us in front of a camera to lose weight. Reality is that after a long stressful day at work you may have to come home and bring your child to a practice that finishes at 730 pm and you have had no time to even think of preparing dinner. Reality is that you may travel for your work and find yourself at meetings where the only available food choices are sandwiches and chips.

Reality is that to lose weight and keep that weight off a life-style change and behavior modification is required...and reality is that this is difficult to achieve. BUT..if you can do this, you will in fact become healthier and happier.

2 comments:

brownsugar722 said...

Doctor Posner are you complaining about the Biggest Loser? But I love that show. It makes me want to try harder...go to the gym everyday, even when I am tired and just want to sit down on the couch and eat something bad. And the transformation of those people!!! It just increases my anticipation as I shed these layers of fat from my body. But you're right...it is not easy doing this in the real world...but let a fat girl have her fantasy will ya? :)

Anonymous said...

Brownsugar722, I am kind of with you on this one.. I watch the loser show as well mainly as another reminder that I am not the only one out there dealing with the weight challenges. And when Bob and Jillian are pushing the contestant to dig a little deeper, go a little harder.. boy am I amping the treadmill too! If that contestant heavier than I can do it.. than I can sure break a more serious sweat.. Sorry Dr. Posner.. but when you get home from a late night at work.. sometimes the nearest workout buddy is at the other end of the remote inspiring my feet to move right in stride on the treadmill.

I think most of us get it.. we are not living 24/7 on a ranch with all eyes watching us.. we have to be ACCOUNTABLE TO OURSELVES which is FAR HARDER... I also know the weekly weigh ins are way unrealistic and a slippery slope for the players - But no different for the rest of us if we don't truly adopt the process as LIFESTYLE CHANGE... But on the flip side my take personally is whereever I can be inspired... I gonna use it.. If watching Loser for that weekly spot got us out of the chair and moving more or thinking twice before going to a poor food option..... :0)