Tuesday, May 4, 2010

weight loss and vacations

I have covered this topic before but feeel that I need to address this again as recently I have seen a number of patients who took vacations that challenged their weight loss efforts.

Clearly "vacation" means relaxing, enjoying yourself and having a good time. Counting every calroie coming is NOT a "fun" activity. Part of the fun of every vacation is partaking of food sources that are different than the "norm".

However, certain vacation choices will derail your weight loss efforts more than others: the "all inclusive" resort which provides as much alcohol as you want for no added charges....a cruise ship where the food is bountiful and you pay nothing extra to attend that glorious midnite buffet....honkey tonk beach trips which place you right on the boardwalk with the wonderful choice for lunch of either a large pizza or cheese fries.

There are so many wonderful places to vacation that would be more compatible with your quest to lose weight or at least maintain while you are gone. Always choose places where you are paying per meal or per drink, NOT included with your price. Choose places where it is less known for its food but more known for the qulaity of the hotel/beach etc.

When you are in a weight losing mode, you can still choose great vacation spots, but not set yourself up for failure on the scale.

1 comment:

brownsugar722 said...

In the past I have always looked forward to all the wonderful things I was going to eat while I am away on vacation. I look up restaurants, etc. That was mostly because I could not find anything cute to wear and did not want to go to trendy places. But a couple of weeks ago, my husband and I went to New York City for the weekend. I did look up restaurants but I was looking at their menu for grilled fish and fresh veggie options. And I did shop for a few cute clothes because I had lost some weight so we went to the theater - and we went to gym in our hotel first thing in the morning before breakfast. And knowing New York, we walked, walked, and walked everywhere. I lost 3Ibs that week. In the past, I would have gained 3 to 5Ibs after my vacation.