Saturday, May 29, 2010

weight loss and miracle fat removal

Well, here we go again....I was watching a Fox News segment on some "miracle" machine that targets fat and through a cold laser technology emulsifies fat. Any non-medical person would have looked at this segment and come away with the belief that this is a breakthrough technology for fat reduction and weight loss.

We must separate body contouring from weight loss. Liposuction, laser fat emulsification and other similar procedures can perhaps make SOME of the fat appear to be less, but these are NOT weight loss procedures. As a matter of fact, ethically, if a patient is above a certain body weight, liposuction should not be offered to the patient.

Let me reassure everyone that there is NO miracle weight loss fat removal procedure. To lose weight and keep that weight off requires life-style changes and behavior modification. There is no easy way around this.

Shame on Fox News for doing these segments and not having some counter opinion offered to present the reality of the situation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? You mean lipo can't make me a size six over night? :)

No one really believes the hype...but we all wish a magic pill could make it all go away. That we were not broken in some way that we reach for food as a crutch. It would be great if surgery could neatly slice that part in my brain that reaches for food in times of stress and unhappiness. But I figure if someone can stop smoking using nicorette, I can stop overeating using the same approach while taking all these pills and supplements. That is my number one priority right now - I am going to live differently. It really has little to do with food and a lot to do with how I live.