Thursday, May 13, 2010

weight loss and a mission

Good groggy morning...got in from the west coast late last night and I am shaling the cobwebs out to get to that office and start seeing patients.

Thanks to you, our wonderful patients, we have an incredible practice. Daily, we get the chance to help so many great people who are striving to become healthier and happier. Yes, it is a business and we have to be profitable, but the mental "profit" of seeing so many people put smiles back on their faces because of a heightened self-esteem and confidence is amazing.

To be able to expand our program to people outside the DC area is really fun. Weight problems in America are epidemic. Yesterday, I had lots of downtime in the airport and had a great chance to "people watch". First, it is incredible how many obese/overweight people you see walking around. Many have children with them who are also overweight at an incredibly young age. Then you see the eating patterns in the airport. The aforementioned people seem to gravitate to the least healthy eateries in the terminal.

Losing weight is very difficult yet necessary to prolong life and kkeepm us healthy. Somehow in America we have allowed our instinctual part of the brain to override the intelligent part that tells us to be healthy and live longer.

I LOVE being back home and LOVE being in that office seeing you, my patients. As much as it is fun to open up centers elsewhere, my heart resides here in Burke and I just wanted to thank you all once again for allowing me to be a part of your quest for health and happiness.

1 comment:

brownsugar722 said...

I have been wrestling with the question of why I made such blatantly unhealthy choices. My worse nightmare right now is losing the weight and then gaining it all back. Why did I eat all that junk even though I knew it made me fat and unhealthy? What is to stop me from doing it again? How do I know that I wouldn't compulsively crave the same things again once I get off the program? Was the food a substitute for something that is missing in my life? If so what is it? How does one cure compulsive overeating? Where does it come from? These are the questions that I think I should to resolve right now if I want to stay healthy. I haven't found an answer yet to even one of the questions. Any ideas?