Thursday, January 21, 2010

weight loss and friends/familial support

I heard several stories yesterday of patients who went home recently for the holidays and were barraged with gifts of candies, cakes, and other high-caloric foods. These came from family members who knew their relative was in a weight losing mode.

I have many patients tell me that they specifically do NOT tell their friends about being on a weight loss effort because they fear the friends would intentionally try to sabotage their efforts.

When you take a step back and think more about this, in the case of family members I have a hard time believeing that they have any true intention of hurting you/your efforts but rather, using food is a source of showing love and nuturing. In the case of friends, I believe there is a jealousy factor involved, meaning that if you are successful in becoming healthioer and looking younger, this may point out even more the unhealthy look and lack of willpower in the friend(s) trying to do the sabotage.

The bottom line is we should all help each other in the mission to become a healthier and happier nation. Help your relatives and friends by having alternative food and drink sources at your house that would be conducive with your/their effort. NEVER implore people to "oh, you must try this dessert I baked for you..."..."Oh come on, a little piece of the birthday cake can't hurt you..." SUPPORT people around you and seek their support. It will make all of us more successful in our efforts to be healthier, look younger, and feel better about ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not tell coworkers that I am on a diet. I am not ready to have the "policing" of my food. It is not helpful and makes me self-conscious. I know my coworkers are trying to help me, but this is a personal journey. Here are some of the comments that I do not like to answer:
"How much do you plan to lose?"
"Is this a healthy diet?"
"can you eat that?"
"it looks like the weight loss has slowed down"
"How much more time are you on this diet?" (a lifetime is not a response they want to hear.)