Friday, January 8, 2010

weigth loss and commercials

I know I have covered this topic before but here goes again....and this is prompted by the barrage of commercials hitting us now.

Companies know how to push our buttons to get us to take out our credit cards and buy. They prey on our weaknesses often. One of our huge major weaknesses is the search for "easy" weight loss.

In january, weight loss companies know that for many, the new years resolution is to shed pounds. You are seeing tons of Nutrisystems commercials, Subway and the infamous "Cookie Diet". The last one really galls me. The commercial makles it seem that you can lose lots of weigth by "SIMPLY" eating their cookies. Give me a break! What they show in the commercials are people who were primed to lose lots of weigth (most liely paid lots of money to do it) and then they get on and tell you how "simple" it is...just eat cookies. Do they mention that you must also portion control other food intake? The commercials imply that eating the cookies themselves results in weight loss.

Subway? Good old Jared. Why doesn't this Man of the Year explain why every Subway worker pushes the combo meals of chips, adding cheese to their sandwiches and then have those chocolate chip cookies staring you in the face at the check out counter?

Losing weight is WORK. There are no simple panaceas to this national health crisis. Portion control, limiting carbs, eliminating alcohol and exercise are all required. This is reality. Eating cookies is not.

Do not be scammed!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Is it too late to submit my list of helpful hints? I've come up with quite a long list of things that have helped my husband and I.
Should I just send it through email or snail mail?

mm said...

AMEN!!!

Today I bought a pair of size 8 pants -- when I started with you in September I barely fit into a size 14. Portion control, exercise and ALWAYS thinking about being healthier is really the key. You once told me losing weight and keeping it off is 99% mental --- you are SO right. I am someone who actually bought those cookies for the cookie diet many months before coming to see Dr. Posner -- the cookies don't work -- SP does! And the money you spend on SP actually gets you real results!

platontips said...

Most women give themselves deadlines for upcoming events, like a wedding, reunion or summer! This is when we get really "serious" about losing weight and we are prepared to do anything to get rid of the weight, and FAST!