Wednesday, January 20, 2010

weight loss and the government

This is not a political blog so I most certainly know that what I think about last night's election results is not pertinent to a blog about weight loss. What I will say is that I think over 99.9% of the people in the United States (me included) have not gone through thoroughly the thousands of pages that contain the new health care bill that the House and Senate have crafted that will impact on all of us in many ways. From the trillions of dollars it will cost to affecting your choice of who you can see and how long it may take to be seen, etc., this will have tremendous impact on the delivery of healthcare and before this is signed sealed and delivered, I think the American people need to understand much better what is about to be signed.

I now I sound like a broken record (for those of you over 40 who know what a record is and what a broken record reference means) but if the government took a more active role in reversing the obesity trend in America, we would have all the money it would take to insure the uninsured. From mandating that insurance companies to cover weight loss efforts to actually putting up weight loss centers in underprivileged areas, reversing the grwoing obesity epidemic will markedly decrease expenditures on hospitalizations, doctor visits, and medications.

We are very used to thinking about how to treat disease states when they occur and do not think often enough about how to prevent thosse diseases. Lowering obesity rates in this country will save billions of dollars...and the government would be wise in becoming more aggressive in these efforts.

1 comment:

mm said...

I just received a denial from my flex spending account for your program. They needed proof that I was indeed overweight and wasn't in your program for just aesthetic reasons. How crazy is that? So they aked for additional proof. Talk about a messed up system.