Friday, January 15, 2010

Weight Loss and Helping Friends

Tonight we are attending our first Serotonin-Plus House Party! What is this? Well, our thought is that people in our program often get asked "how are you losing all this weight?" We receive many 'word of mouth" referrals into our program and we wanted to find a way of thanking our patients who do refer us patients. For those patients who have a fairly large circle of friends, we offered up our appearance at their house one evening to discuss our program to their friends who may have an interest in weight loss. We come in with healthy snacks and one of the staff and I then come in and explain our program. If any of the friends sign up for the program, we reward the host of the party with 2 free visits. Kind of a "Tupperware" party but it will be weight loss instead!

Addressing weight issues with friends or family is very senstivie. EVERYONE has at least one if not many more people who are important to them who have weight problems. It is not very easy to just go up to the person you care about and say "You probably need help in losing weight because your health is at grave risk." However, it is the csase that their health is at risk and if you continue to see a friend or loved one exist at a very unhealthy weight, perhaps there is a way of addressing this in a non-insulting, non-hurtful manner. Certainly, being a role model yourself in addressing your weight issue is always the best form of inspiration.

As you are becoming healthier and happier with your weight loss, consider helping the people around you by hosting a Serotonin-Plus Party! I will report tomorrow how this goes but I think it is going to be incredibly fun.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm attending a formal tomorrow night and was wondering if I decided to have a alcoholic beverage (i know they are not good for me) what type would be the less damaging for me. It would be probably one drink and I can not drink wine. Wine gives me severe heartburn

Anonymous said...

I know from my experience wine is the WORST anyway....full of sugar. Low carb beer like Michelob Ultra in a champagne or wine glass is good. Straight liquor, 1 shot with club soda is another good alternative, NO carbs! Some people like Vodka, club soda and lime. I prefer the dark liquors like bourbon or scotch. Good luck.