Wednesday, June 2, 2010

weight loss and self-esteem

Last night I attended the organizational meeting for our Fashion Show scheduled for June 19, 3PM at Bobby McKeys piano bar at the National Harbor.

Over the past several months we have "talked up" the show/charity event to our patients imploring them to be a part of it. Certainly, this is incredibly outside everyone's box....getting up in front of other people and "being seen" on stage. Thoughts of giving a speech in front of a group terrorize many people even with a subject matter that the speaker is familiar with...getting up in front of people as a "model"? No one has experience at this.

When we do not feel that we look our best, probably the last thing we would want to do is get up in front of other people for fear of negative judgement. Additionally, we are also concerned that we do not "measure up" to others. Losing weight gives us renewed confidence and as a show of this, I really want to applaud the people who have agreed to be a part of our show. I see this as incredibly inspirational to others: "Look at me...even though I may not be at my ideal weight, I am still proud to be seen." Thank you once again to everyone who has agreed to be a part of our show and I want to encourage everyone to attend the show as the cause we are supporting is a great one. Also, perhaps your attendance will work to motivate you even further to keep on track with your efforts to lose weight, become healthier, happier and regain lots of self-esteem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agreed to model but I was wondering if we are supposed to bring something to wear? Are we having some sort of rehearsal? What is the plan?

Anonymous said...

Dr. Posner, before seeing this blog, i signed up on thursday for the show and have been questioning my decision ever since. what you wrote helped me realize that my decision was based on the right reasons and that it is really a good thing that i do this. thank you so much, once again, for your support! you always seem to know what i need to hear just when i need to hear it!