Wednesday, June 30, 2010

weight loss and portion control

I was at a restaurant last evening and ordered a veal dish (okay, your doctor was not following his own advice and had a veal parmigiana with pasta). What came out was this huge hunk of veal which could have easily fed three people. I felt compelled to keep eating way past the point of satiation. I finally told myself "Posner, you tell your patients to ask yourself the question: am i still hungry? before eating the next bite. My answer was clearly NO.

Even though most of this was protein, the breading was not and of course, there was some bread brought to the table first and pasta accompanied the veal and I had to try some of that...

The food was great, bountiful and not too over priced....BUT...if I was in a weight losing mode, this would have been a very bad choice of a restaurant.

Choose restaurants that are NOT known for their massive portions. We tend to all like "deals" and places that provide an appetizer, a huge main course, dessert and a side dish for outrageously low prices are very tempting for our stomachs and wallets but not conducive to our weight loss efforts.

Make sure portion control is part of your strategy.

No comments: