Wednesday, June 16, 2010

weight loss and sabotage

Great comment yesterday....it was in response to my posting about getting attention when we lose weight. The comment was about the fact that some people will almost intentionally try to derail your weight loss efforts by bringing cookies and other high-caloric food sources to the person trying to lose weight. The word used was having to "please" others by succumbing to their gifts of food.

"Pleasing others" has no place in your quest for weight loss. YOU are choosing to become healthier and happier...it is a GREAT choice....Anyone who intentionally tries to derail your efforts has some psychological issues and you have NO obligation to "please" them by eating the cookies or cake that was made especially for you. Politely smile, take the gift, explain that you are trying to become healthier and happier, and you will give their gift to someone who does not have a weight problem. if they are offended, too bad.

Your choice to lose weight is a great one and people around you who attempt to derail these efforts are either not thinking or not caring. In the case of an elderly relative, they just do not understand the ramifications of weight issues and elderly use food to show love. In the case of "friends" it is more likely to be jealousy. In either case, please yourself by sticking to your mission.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree….It makes it difficult when you live with the philosophy that it is better to feel the hurt than to hurt other’s feeling. But of late when it comes to unhealthy food choices, I have learnt to stay politely, that I can’t have them for health reasons. It seems to work for me…! Just a tip!

Sure we cannot change others but we can certainly change the way we deal with them! I had couple of surprises when people ask me why I am so stubborn with certain food choices which opens door for conversation and I feel privileged to explain why and win them too! Isn’t life so beautiful to help each other on the way!!

Anonymous said...

That works sometimes but there are some repeat offenders who will persist saying "yes but just this once...one little cookie wouldn't hurt...you have already lost so much."

Anonymous said...

Fortunately/unfortunately….in my case, weight gain has direct impact on my health..! So I never use the word ‘weight loss’ as a reason to avoid wrong food choices but use my love to live longer with good health as the reason!!

All of us seem to have so unique a path to travel in life!