Wednesday, April 21, 2010

weight loss and fod availability

I know we have covered this topic before but yesterday I saw several patients who voiced similar complaints and I felt this was worthy of discussion again: The concept of having food sources around the house that would be tempting and would most certainly derail weight loss efforts. The patients themselves were not purchasing and placing these challenging items in the house...rather, the spouses were doing this.

I recommend that when you are in a weight loss mode, talk to everyone around the household and ask for their support. Part of this support is NOT having challenging food/snack items out in the usual, open places. You are not asking them to not partake of these food sources themsselves, but rather that they not be in eye's view for you. When it comes to freezer items such as ice cream it is difficult to not have this visible. However, if it is the case that other members of the household have weight control issues, it is not unreasonable to just keep those food sources out of the house completely.

Working with the entire family unit and asking for their support to allow you to become healthier and happier can be very helpful with achieving these long term goals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i so get this...if its in the house, its dangerous to me but others demand it be in the house. i recently have made a renewed effort and sat down again with the family. i reminded them why i'm doing this program and why they want me to do this program. i put my foot down and said, some foods i can't have in the house...period. if you want them on occasion, have them away from me away from the house- together and do it in a moderate way. for the rest of the items, i tell them what has to be kept out of my sight. the rest i choose to be responsible to myself, to the family and to the program and absolutely not allow myself to have those things. i think it will help.