Thursday, April 29, 2010

weight loss and age

Okay...kind of a sensitive issue for me as I turned a year older yesterday, but a few words about the "aging process" as this relates to weight control.

Entering college at 17, i was 155 pounds and ate easily about three times the amount of calories I do now. I did not exercise everyday back then and now, age 54, I exercise daily, eat much less calories and weight 20 pounds more than I did in college.

As we get older we all notice that metabolism slowdown and in order to maintain weight control, we must adjust our eating to account for this. Women get especially hit with this issue, as their metabolism slowdown, in most cases, is much more pronounced then men.

Sometimes we have new patients who come in that state they want to get back to their college weight. This is not a realistic goal in most cases because of the aforementioned metabolism changes.

As time moves forward, to maintain weight control we actually need to be slightly more aggressive each year on our portion control to account for these metabolism issues.

And for those of you wondering, 54 is the new 53...

3 comments:

Heather said...

I wish I would have known it was your birthday yesterday. I certainly would have gone the extra mile to tell you what a difference you are making in the lives of your patients. Happy Birthday! You look mahhhvalous. Heather Francis

Susanne said...

I remember that you share the same birthday as my hubby. He says that "65" is the new "55" and feels better now than he did 10 years ago. Hope you had a great day, thanks for your help and keep on blogging.

Anonymous said...

Age is only a number - not an important one at that.... however, the "weight" number is important.