Sunday, March 7, 2010

weight loss and your friends and family

How much of a responsibility do you have in encouraging/faciliting a loved one or friends weight control issues? A very sensitive subject matter to approach with someone special in your life. We all understand how weight issues and the co-morbidities can kill people, yet we find ourselves still "nururing" our loved ones with food sources.

Think of Christmas, birthday celebrations and other holidays/occasions when we bake cookies, cook an abundance of high-caloric food sources and provide these to our loved ones...some or many of whom may have significant weight issues.

It is awkward to approach a loved one and suggest weight control initiatives. We know that the affected person knows he/she is overweight so we are pointing out soemthing that they already know and are senstive about. However, to remain silent and not try to intervene and help is akin to watching a loved one about ready to be hit by a train and not yelling for them to get out of the way.

The first step is for YOU to be a role model. If you have a weight control issue, start working on that problem rigjht now. By you showing the control and initiative, your loved ones may feel compelled to follow suit. You may not only be saving yourswlf, you will be allowing your loved ones to also be healthier and happier,

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I never realized that being overweight can be a cause for blood clots to develop. My sister died three years ago at age 41 of a sudden pulmonary embolism. She was overweight. After seeing how my husband and I had done so well on SPdiet, she decided to discuss this program with her primary care physician.(She does not live near any of the centers). I had shared as much information as I could with her and she had an appointment on a Monday, she died on Sunday the day before. There may have been other contributing factors to her death, but we will never know. This seems really scary. I think this is one result of being overweight that we never think about. I wish she would have asked me about the program earlier or that I would have been able to bring up the subject to her. She was my only sibling and 20 years younger than me!