Saturday, March 20, 2010

weight loss and mood

Sometimes we eat high caloric foods when we are happy...weddings, gatherings, parties, etc...at other times, we eat those derailing foods when we are sad. Why is it that mood changes can affect our eating behaviors?

In the case of a low mood, often there are chemical components to the eating process...high-caloric foods create an immediate "feel-good" but that only lasts for a short period of time . This is then followed by self-loathing for having given in to that destructive behavior.

In the case of happiness, this tends to be more social as opposed to chemical...everyone is drinking the wine, eating the cake, etc..so why not me too?

Trying tom mentate through the mood changes and the effect on our eating and "staying the course" is important for long term weight control.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Posner - It will be beneficial for you to consult with your staff to ensure they are all providing the same information to your patients. Your Nurse Manager not only talked with me about Amway's weight loss program, she also recommended doing cardio for at least an hour. I also asked her questions about nutrition and specific foods. Her reply was "Oh I guess you'll just have to count calories." This is in contrast to the information your Dietitian provided me: 20 minutes of interval training for cardio is recommended while on the SP program, don't count calories count exchanges. I replied to 2 emails from your dietitian with questions to which she never responded. Before removing your Chat Room from your website, I posted a question to the SPDietitian (since my emails were never responded to), which sat for 3 weeks with no response. I thought you should know this has been my experience and other patients may experience the same poor customer service and receiving conflicting information from your staff.

Heather said...

I have a question regarding the Serotonin supplements. Can you read this link and explain to me how they work? I really believe they do work, but need to understand how as this article is negating the fact that the supplement could work. Thanks,
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=3090