Saturday, October 10, 2009

weight loss....debate about "treats"

Good morning....as in every morning, before i write the blog i check the comments.....I am going to debate the person who posted a comment yesterday..

subject: my rant about people, especially supervisors, NOT having candy dishes on their desks thereby minimizing the opportunity for overweight people to walk by and pick them up and derail their efforts

Comment: ( you can see it on yesterdays blog in entirety) Having a "treat" available is not very harmful, a person taking one small candy will not hurt him/her and people need to exhibit "self control"

I DISAGREE!!! If people could exhibit "self control", 67% of America would NOT be overweight. Weight issues are killing Americans and even though "one piece of candy" will not kill someone, in the aggregate, lots of camdies will. Women tend to be "nurturers" much more than men, and in professions dominated by females, such as teachers and nurses, constantly foods/snacks are appearing at the workplace to "treat" others. Is a "treat" something that derails someone's efforts to become healthier? If 67% of the workers in your environment were alcoholics, would you have travel bottles of alcohol in a basket on your desk?

I respectfully disagree with my commnentator yesterday, as "treats"do not and should not be caloric-driven. BUT.......I want to THANK YOU for talking the time to read and comment and I want ALL of you to become involved with these discussions!!!! Thank you for being involved!!!!!!

6 comments:

rehab2see said...

This discussion reminds me of a co-worker who always had candy and chocolate in her office. I'm not talking about one candy dish on her desk, but 5 large bags that contained a variety of mini candy bars. She did not have all 5 bags on her desk, but I knew where she hid them. She had several small baskets around her office with the goodies in them. I knew where to go for a pick-me-up, to feel better or because I "deserved" a piece of chocolate to get me through a rough day at work. Thankfully, she has retired and no one has replaced her chocolate tradition. There were times I couldn't "help" myself. It was never one piece of chocolate for me; it was more like 5 or 10. I AGREE with Dr. Posner.

Dr. J said...

"Treats", what a wonderful thing! I don't know what I would do if I didn't have that "pick me up", that "high" during the day. One treat is satisfying enough, but those that do not have self control...I can see your point, Doc. May I ask where you are getting your statistics? Not only do I have "treats", NOT 5 bags all over my office, but I also started a softball teams for my staff, we do bowling nights, I provide healthy breakfasts once a week for my staff. Again, it all comes to self-control, self-discipline. Why should we all be punished for those that cannot hold their own? We all have "issues" but I don't feel sorry for people that are overweight/obese...they are people too. There are ways to have treats and still promote healthy lifestyles.

rehab2see said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rehab2see said...

Dr. J, why do you consider not having "treats" on your desk or in your office as punishment? Does this mean that "treats" are rewards? Using candy and/or chocolate as a reward can become a problem, not a solution.

Dr, J said...

Maybe "treats" is the wrong word to use. So....chocolate, candy, deserts left in the break rooms are wrong to have? What about the people that are self disciplined? I don't think we should punish everyone for someone's lack of self-discipline...that's all.

rehab2see said...

I do NOT see how keeping chocolate or other sweet treats out of common areas as punishment for those with self discipline. I DO see it as punishment for those who struggle with carbohydrate cravings and their weight. Having such items in common areas is too accessible. There's nothing wrong with being mindful and considerate of others' goals and challenges. What will it cost those with self discipline to NOT have chocolate in common areas as compared to the cost to those who do struggle?