Wednesday, October 21, 2009

weight loss and fad diets

http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/basics/diet-trends-cookie-diet?icid=mainmaindl3link3http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fdiet%2Fbasics%2Fdiet-trends-cookie-diet

Thanks Ellen for the above link....

If you click on this link, it will discuss a story on Good Morning America concerning a woman who went from a size 24 to a size 6 on the "Miracle" Cookie Diet. Have you seen those annoying commercials where people are singing: "Who has their hand in the cookie jar...?"

Once again, corporate America scamming the public...yes, the same public that spends 55 BILLION dollars a year on weight loss efforts. This latest fad involves eating "high-protein" cookies for breakfast and dinner and then a 500 calorie dinner. So the company runs these annoying commercials all the time, their PR person gets a gig on Good Morning America profiling some woman who was probably paid by the company to chronicle her "Miracle" success story and then the viewers of GMA will pick up the phone and order this Cookie Diet thing.

Ladies and Gentleman, let me make this clear once again: LOSING WEIGHT REQUIRES BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION AND LIFE=STYLE CHANGES. ANY PROGRAM BASED ON ARTIFICIAL FOOD SOURCES WILL FAIL IN THE LONG TERM.

So, if Dr. Posner was sitting on the couch of GMA and asked what he thought of the "Cookie Diet" he would pull the New York thing of feigning a sneeze and saying "BULLSHIT".

Seriously, do not be scammed by any supplement company or commercial weight loss organization that makes losing weight sound "easy". As we all know, losing weight requires lots of work on behavior modification and there are no real shortcuts. So, do NOT put your hands in the cookie jar...plan how you can eat "real" food, but in the correct proportions.

2 comments:

memarsha said...

I must admit that I purchased the cookie diet this past spring. It was interesting...not life changing. I am sure people look at the SP diet cost and think...wow--that's expensive. For me, I just began to add up all of the fads I had purchased over the years that did not work. Financially it was smarter to go with a safe, researched based program. I'm glad I took the SP path.

Anonymous said...

I, too, purchased the cookie diet when it first came out...ate three of the cookies...like chewing a cardboard sponge. Threw the rest out! I'd much rather learn how to manage "real" food. My blood sugar is steady and I'm never hungry. I'll take this healthy way to weight loss anyday!