Sunday, October 25, 2009

weight loss and individual differences

Genetics/inheritance of DNA plays a large role in our body morphology. Obviously, there is almost no one who enters our program who professes to have a "very fast metabolism". Almost everyone feels their metabolism is slow. However, there clearly are differences between people on how they assimilate/burn off calories.

I have has several patients tell me that "they heard it was okay to take one day a week and eat what you want." Many, many people who have weight control issues CANNOT do this. If they take one day (or more of course) and eat high-caloric foods, weight will NOT go down even if the first 6 days of the week were well planned and conducive to their efforts.

Some people can "get away with" eating lots of food and not gain weight (hello many males) but for most women, especially over 30 years old, this is not the case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too have heard people talk of this one day a week thing and knew right away it's a slippery concept. One that could play with a solid plan and also a person's thinking.

There are so many calorie dense foods that can be consumed quickly. If given a "free pass", many of us could do damage not just in a day, sometimes just an hour.

A nutritionist told me all it takes is adding an extra 130 calories a day and I could be 10pounds heavier at the end of the year. Much of my weight accumulated in this way, mindless eating, not paying attention to the extras. So logically, I can't see how an entire day of not paying attention would work for me. It would just be PRACTICING the eating that brought on the weight in the first place and encouraging a RATIONALIZING mind game of - this one item/day doesn't count. As if somehow, being back on plan tomorrow will magically offset the damage done today??

I have had many hard workouts trying to offsett just a few minutes slip into a Ben and Jerry's pint. I know of no workout offsetting and entire day of at will eating.

I remember well an eye opener comic I saw of a person enjoying an oversized desert..the caption read "I'm on vacation". Problem is...nobody tells our thighs or expanding waist this message. I know my body NEVER takes a calorie vacation! It is going to store a desert calorie the same way, whether I eat them in Bermuda or at the open door of my refrigerator.

My understanding is that if we want healthy behavior and thinking to become a natural, integrated part of our life .. so it feels less a struggle .. then we have to practice it consistently without intervals of doing the opposite.

The objective, I believe, is to replace unhealthy behaviors with healthier new ones. By PLANNING and SCHEDULING to PURPOSELY continue both, side by side, isn't this giving merit to both and regarding the unhealthy practices as equally important as the healthy?

Yes, we all have moments when we.. here comes the cliche.. "fall off the wagon". That's something different. The closer comparrison here is saying I want to purposely jump off this moving wagon every week and then run like crazy the next day to get back on.

No thanks for me.. I'm keeping my seatbelt secure with an eye on where I'm going. I've done enough time with the unhealthy so no need to keep practicing it weekly.. What I will practice now is balance, working to stay on this wagon til destination!