Wednesday, October 7, 2009

weight loss and jealousy

Yesterday I spoke to a patient in our program who told me that her best friend is around 32 year old, was a former college basketball player, works out regularly, but also eats everything she waants...all types of foods, Captain Crunch cereal with berries, cheesecake etc...and she doesnt gain weight. The patient in our program stuggles with her weight and eats less than her friend by far, yet is obese.

Metabolism goes along way when it comes to weight struggles. Family units tend to have certain body types and certain predispositions to obesity. It is indeed frustrating to see others maintain a great weight with seemingless little effort. Sometimes you feel like smacking them as they are consumming some high-caloric food source without a care in the world as toi what it may do to their weight.

Dont feel jealousy,,,,just understand that some of us have to "work harder" to lose weight. And proceed to do that work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happens to the "some of us" who want to continue on the path of weight loss at your facility after we have completed two consective 12 week programs? Where do we go from there? I was told to think about what I wanted to do and I could let you know when I oome back in for my regular weekly appointment.
I called this week to change my appointment to another day, only to find out that I was not even in the books for my regular appointment. I have come in every week of the 24 weeks, not missed one, so I was a little surprised to find out that they did not have me down for my appointment AND then I had to spell my name for the new appointment-twice the person got it wrong as I was saying my name and spelling it. It was not a new employee who did this.
Are two 12-week programs the limit? I have had success with the program and would like to continue it, but now I am not sure about what I should do.

Serotonin-Plus Staff said...

Dear Patient:

I am very sorry to hear that there was so much confusion at the front desk when you called to reschedule your appointment. It is very important to us that our patients feel well cared for, but also that they are comfortable with the direction they are going in with regards to their weight loss.

Finishing a twelve week program is a great milestone. Deciding what to do afterward is very important. While in our program, we stress how vital planning is as a means of overcoming the daily challenges of weight loss. This mantra continues to hold true after the twelve week program is completed. Our patients have several options to choose from: many decide after reaching their goal weight that they would like to try maintenance on their own. For those patients, we recommend that they weigh themselves at least once a week. If they find that they have gained anywhere near 5 pounds, we encourage them to come back for a visit to speak with a clinician to plan a way to get back on track. This option works well for a lot of people, but for those that are interested in more support, we offer another option; upon finishing the final visit, we offer follow-up visit packages that provide 6 visits or 12 visits, which can be purchased in advance for a discounted rate. The follow-up visit sessions can be used at any time during a 12 month period. This is a great option for those that desire more structure once they have finished the weekly visit phase of their lifestyle change. We also recommend checking Dr. Posner’s blog and the chat room on a daily basis.

Again, I apologize that the front desk was not able to help you with the utmost customer care. Please don’t let this discourage you from letting us help you continue the success of your weight loss.

Thank you!