Tuesday, June 16, 2009

weight loss and self-perception

First, congratulations to Suzanne and Paul for their 41st anniversary!!! I wish you a great time at the beach!!! (And no funnel cakes Paul, hear me???)

I have had a number of patients who come into our program, prompted by seeing themselves ina group picture taken with family of colleagues. The usual comment is: "I looked at the picture and thought, oh my God, I cannot believe how overweight I looked." The person will then go on to explain that they never saw herself as an overweight person, even though she had to change clothes sizes, felt it more difficult to get around, etc. It was actually seeing a picture that "woke me up".

This is a common psychological issue with many of us, meaning that reality is often different than self-perception. Laughing...I see the TV commercial that we are running currently that we made almost 7 years ago, and I think to myself: "Hey, who is the old doctor in the commercial, that can't be me!!!" Lots more gray hair for sure!!! (okay...some more wrinkles too).

Facing reality by getting on that scale weekly is an important step in keeping your weight under control long-term.

No comments: