Saturday, June 27, 2009

weight loss and realistic goals

I have covered this topic before but this week I had several new patients enter our program who set their weight loss goals at too stringent a number.

We must differentiate a weight loss goals that could be achieved vs. a goal that is maintainable. For instance, if you were a Hollywood star, preparing for a role in a movie, and that role required you be at your old high school weight, there is a good chance that you can get yourself down to that weight for purposes of the acting role. However, to maintain that weight forever would be near-impossible.

This week, I had several patients set their goal at their old high school weight and I informed them that this would not be a maintable weight for them. Obviously, metabolism changes and what was easy to maintain (easy? you didn't even have to think about it at that age!) becomes very difficult to maintain at a later age. Aesthetically, it also will not look great to be at that weight, as most people would now look unhealthy at their high school weight. Persoanlly, I was 155 pounds when I graduated. If I was that weight now, my patients would think I had developed some really bad disease.

Set your goals realistically based on age and other factors. That goal needs to be one that is "maintainable".

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I am still out of town and today have been able to catch up on the last few days of blog. I have missed my morning "fix" being able to read some words of wisdom to start my day. So I have a funny story about not having tempting foods around the house. While taking care of our 3 yr old granddaughter a few weeks ago, she asked if she could have a cookie...I said I don't have any. She then asked for some crackers.. I said I don't have any...She finally said, "WELL, Gramma, what do you have?" After giving her and her playmate a few options they ended up with a snack of a cheese stick and fruit ...and they was perfectly happy. A good example of making the choice of something healthy and still being happy!