Tuesday, June 2, 2009

weight loss and exercise

Often, when I ask a patient whether he or she exercises, I will get a tentative "yes" and then when I further query as to the type of exercise, I will then be told about having to walk alot at work, taking the stairs at work, parking further from the building entrance, gardening and other activities that, while certainly are better caloric burnoff activities than sitting, are not aggressive enough.

No one, most certainly me, expects people who have not been doing regular exercise to start going out and running marathons. Many people loath running or have orthopedic situations that preclude traditional caloric burn-off exercises activities. However, there are exercise activities that people can do that will increase caloric burniff allowing you to lose weight quicker.

We have a certified personal trainer on staff, and Joanne is a resource for you. NO EXTRA CHARGE!!! Please, if you are not doing any formal exercise right now (planting flowers does not count) call Joanne and set up a time to meet with her so she can help you start a program for yourself. This will help your long-term goals of losing that weight and keeping it off.

1 comment:

JT said...

I agree. Exercise is key. Thankfully, I enjoy exercise, so its not to difficult for me to do it. However, historically, I will start strong and then my interest will lessen. But, the weight loss has motivated me to stick with my exercise routine. I am going to take a walk, 2 miles at a decent pace, I generally work up a little sweat. Also, I am committed to hitting the gym at least 3 times this week.