Monday, June 29, 2009

weight loss and culture

Although different cultures have many differences, when it comes time for family celebrations, one thing is quite common: family members getting together being fed high-caloric food sources. I grew up in a Jewish family, and to this day, I remember Bubbie Sadie filling my plate with knishes (free bottle of multivitamins for anyone , without googling, can tell me what a "knish" is....sorry Jewish patients, you are exempted from this trivia contest), matzoh balls, and sundry other high-caloric items. My Italian patients describe bountiful feasts of mostly pasta containing dishes. My latina patients tell me about rice accompanying almost every family gathering. My African American patients relate stories of family gatherings including many fried foods and potatos. Once again, irrespective of the culture/religion, the commonality os being fed lots of food, mostly NOT consistent with "healthy" eating patterns.

Keeoing cultural and family traditions intact is often what gives us perspective and a sense of belonging. However, changing some of the eating traditions will go a long way in ensuring that our children and our grandchildren will live longer and healthier lives.

No comments: