Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Maintaining your weight loss

I Had a woman return to our program yesterday after she gained 5 pounds in one month. She had originally entered our profgram in anticipation of her daughter's wedding, and proceeded to lose over 30 pounds before the wedding date. She reached her goal and felt/looked fabulous. After the wedding, she started slowly going back to some old behavior patterns, and when tracking the weight, decided that at 5 pounds, it was time to come back in for a "tune up".

The story above illustrates two things here: First, the concept of a psychological "finish line". When someone is striving to lose weight for an event whether it be a reunion or a wedding, after that date comes and goes, the person will mentally cross that finish line, and feel that he/she can now "take a break" and start returning to some old eating/drinking behaviors. Secondly, the monitoring of weight allowed this person to stop the gain at 5 pounds and not the entire 30 she had worked so hard to lose.

To maintain weight loss, one needs to try as best as possible to maintain your newly found patterns of planning and eating, and the monitoring of your weight is crucial to know at what point you may need a jumpstart help for a few weeks. If the above mechanisms are followed, there is no way that a person can gain back all the weight they have lost.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I totally agree with the woman who came in for a "tune up". Making a life style change can never have a finish line. I also have a "danger zone" that I find myself at sometimes and that makes me re-examine how I have strayed from my healthy living. I then can get back on track and back into my safe zone by not skipping those mornings in the gym and cutting back on those extra "carbs' that have made their way into my diet.
Thanks for a great program.