Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Big Apple

Good morning from Manhatten! The city has an energy unmatched by any other I have been in. I couldn't help but notice that there seemingly is a higher % of people here overweight than in the D.C. area. Not that I was counting overweught people but my generalized impression was at the restaurant I was in that I was seeing more overweight people that I do at the D.C. restaurants I frequent.

Perhaps it is the stress and "rushing" that are endemic to a very large crowded city. The more time someone commutes to work, drive in traffic, etc., the less time to plan meals and more likely to make quick easy food choices....slice of pizza...pretzel at the stands etc.

We all only have a certain amount of time per day to focus on a number of issues that confront us everyday...children issues, other family maters, work commute, issues at work, etc. The more time we need to attend to the essential daily activities, the less time we have to focus on our own issues. Planning our meals, not making fast choices, finding exercise time...all of these are important for long term weight loss.

No comments: