Sunday, November 2, 2008

"I Wish I Could Go Back To College..."

There is a hilarious Broadway musical called "Avenue Q" and in this show, the actors all walk around with puppets that are the main characters. One of the show songs is called "I wish I could go back to college" and in this number, the chatacters (most of whom are in their mid 20s-30) lament that life was easier and more fun when they were all in college and their parents were paying for eveything.

One of the lines from this song was:

" But if I were to go back to college...

I would sit in the quad

And say "Oh my God!"

All the kids are so much younger than me..."

What the heck does this have to do with blogging about weight loss? Okay..here goes: I am in Williamsburg VA this weekend with my family and last night after dinner at a pizza/sub place we went to a bar near the college of William and Mary. The kids were so much fun to watch...lots and lots of beer, wings, other drinks etc being imbibed, and yet, most of the students appeared thin. I started thinking that at that age, most of us ate pizza, subs, drank beer after beer, and yet we had no difficulties controlling our weight. Over time, we started eating and drinking less, yet weight became more of a struggle.

The slowing of metabolism is subtle, yet over time, we find ourselves putting pounds on because we do not initially adjust our eating/drinking to the slowing metabolism. If I ate and drank what I saw these kids doing in a consistent manner, I would be over 220 pounds for sure. Adjusting our eating and alcohol usage as we age is a very important part of not developing a signifcant weight issue over time.

I went back to my alma mata Binghamton State University several years ago and gave a lecture about serotonin and weight loss to their biochemistry department. It was so cool to see the college campus again...memories drifted in like a breeze on a balmy summer day. I wish I could go back to college...I would sit in the quad....and say "Oh my God"...The kids are so much younger and thinner than me"

No comments: