Saturday, November 29, 2008

"I Have To..."

Yesterday I saw a patient who had a somewhat difficult weight loss week and apparently their family has a tradition where on the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas cookies are made...lots of them. The patient told be that "I have to make these cookies." Unfortunately, the patient not only made the cookies, but a number of them were ingested.

I want to touch on the mindset that somehow we are compelled or forced to do something that will damage our weight loss efforts. I have had patients who travel tell me that at business dinners "I have to have a glass of wine". Or, "they brought in lunch and I had to have sandwiches and chips."

If it is family tradition to bake cookies after Thanksgiving, by no means am I suggesting that you break tradition (unless most family members are overweight in whcih case I would ask you to consider changing traditions). I am suggesting that you take ownsership of your OWN actions. Whether it be baking, but not easting the cookies, or going to a business dinner and ordering a non-alcoholic beverage, these choices are under OUR control, not someone elses. Yes, being in the environment of baking cookies or being around people socially drinking willl tempt us to do the same, but we can all exert control of ourselves. It is a matter of changing the mindset that "I HAVE to.." to "I CHOOSE to..."

Have a great Saturday....and....any Skins fans wanna bet your doctor about tomorrow's outcome???? GO G-MEN!!!

No comments: