Saturday, November 15, 2008

Identifying your "Potholes"

Potholes are things are cars drive over ruining wheels or rims. When it comes to weight loss potholes, I am referring to the behavior patterns that we fall into that get us into weight problems. Some of these potholes are obvious.."Doc, at nite when I watch television I always get some ice cream from the fridge.." "I miss breakfast and get really hungry at lunch..." " I have no time to exercise..." Lots and lots of potholes, and as we step into each of them , our chances for achieving and maintaining our weight loss goals are diminished.

I encourage all of you to get out a piece of paper and pen and jot down your "pothole" list. Try to think of each and every behavior pattern that leads to unwanted weight gain. Then, on the other side of the sheet, write down potential solutions. If you identify your potholes, there is less chance of stepping into one!.

As an aside, switching from pothole lists to "Bucket Lists" (good movie), here is one thing on my bucket list (something I want to do before i kick the bucket): I want to see the sunset on a tropical island in the pacific.

No comments: