Friday, January 30, 2009

weight and health

I have had my internal medicine practice for over 20 years now and I have had the great fortune of being able to follow many wonderful patients for over 2 decades. Yesterday I saw several medical patients who have had a number of medical problems related to obesity...diabetes, arthritis, heart disease risk factors such as hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. For many years I have implored these patients to lose significant weight because of the risk of developing major medical problems.

The patients I saw yesterday indeed are now in deep problems and their prognoses are very poor. I can only wonder if they did attend to their weight problems years ago, what type of difference in their health would be occurring now.

Once again, the point is the "investment" you make now in reducing your weight will pay long term dividends. It is no "fun" giving up food sources that we love and make us feel good immediately, but it is even worse to have to deal with medical problems that will strip you of your health, happiness and finances. The patients I saw yesterday would trade in one millisecond their years of eating poorly to be able to not have the problems they are now encountering. Be wise...now is the time to be poractive in reducing your weight...before it is too late.

No comments: