Sunday, January 25, 2009

Metabolism and weight

There is not one person who enters our weight loss program that says: "I have a problem...my metabolism is so fast, all i have to do is look at food and the pounds melt away..."

To the contrary, pretty much everyone, especially our female patients, tells us that their metabolisms are VERY slow and as time goes on, it seems to get slower and slower.

A few helpful hints: make sure to eat frequently during the day...not lots of food...but frequent. When you skip meals, the metabolism slows down. Also, exercise seems to jack up the rate of metabolism. Alcohol seems to very much clow down metabolism.

Even though it is winter, try to find ways of getting that exercise in. I was at the park today with Tanner the Dog and lots of people were out there despite the temperature of 25. People were bundled up but still exercising. (This park thing is becomign an ego buster for me...everyone passes me even though I am "running"...I think even Tanner is embarrassed by my pace!)

No comments: