Monday, November 9, 2009

weight loss and diet pills

On Friday I received a telephone call from a company that wanted to pick my brain a bit about my experience in treating patients for weight loss, as their client is a pharmaceutical company coming out soon with a new weight loss pill. I am thinking about how many times I have seen articles in the newspaper about some "miracle" weight loss pill that is about ready to hit the market.

Inevitably, these things always seem to wash out...either side effects that require the company to pull the pill off the market or the efficacy is questionable.

We, as a country, are always hopeful that the "magic" pill will come out, allowing us simply to take a pilll and lose weight and keep that weight off. It is very important to understand and accept that no pill exists now, nor do I feel such a pill will be invented that makes weight loss that simple.

Losing weight requires work...watching caloric intake, planning meals, exercising etc. Anthing, whether it be a surgery, a program or "pill" that makes long term weight loss sound easy has to be viewed with lots of skepticism.

No comments: