Sunday, August 30, 2009

weight loss and your visits

Last week I saw a very active chat room on our site with entries discussing the utility of the weekly visits. Apparently, one of our patients was seen by a physician stand-in for me while I was in New York and the encounter was not favorable for the patient. A slight weight gain occurred and the patient was made to feel defensive about the change and the advice was not perceived as positive or acceptable.

We have a number of providers seeing our followup patients and we are all different people, we all have slightly different approaches.

The techniques we train EVERY professional here who sees patients include always: SUPPORT, NO NEGATIVITY , A NON-JUDGEMENTAL APPROACH, POSITIVE ATTITUDE, MOITVATIONAL SUPPORT

The last thing a person trying to lose weight needs is discouragement and a sense they "disappointed" the person involved in heloping them lose weights.

I do find that some of my patients welcome a more "honest/tough" approach as opposed to a completely "you did great" approach when in fact old behaviors were reverted to the week before. But you have to know your patients and know who benefits better from which type of approach.

We do know that everyone of our patients loses lots of weight in our program but we also realize that at times, there may be some patients who feel that their visit was not "worth the money". We obviously try very hard to eliminate that completely as we would love a l00% satisfaction rate. Toward that end, if you ever feel that your weekly visit was unsatisfactory to you, please call ME at 703-866-4l44 and I will ensure that you get another visit, at no charge of course, with the provider of your choice...Donna, Keri, me, or whoever you feel best helps your efforts.

We have the largest medically supervised weight loss program in the area for many reasons, one of which is that the overwhelming majority of our patients are thrilled with their results. However, if anyone feels that they have beel let down, we need to make it "right" and we will.

6 comments:

Susanne said...

Thank you for addressing the chat room "hot" topic of the week. You definitely hit the nail on the head when you wrote about how each patient benefits from different approaches. If it has been a struggle...some of us don't need to be reminded that we didn't follow the plan perfectly or we didn't get in enough exercise..we already know that! Getting back on task and refocing is the important part. The different providers that we see, do not walk in our shoes and only see us once a week. Don't judge us on only what you see during that visit, but understand that we all live with situations we cannot control. Some of us handle those moments differently than others. Coming back to where people understand and give their support is important to us. If some patients want the tough approach that is their decision. Some people like a "swift kick" and that gets them motivated even more. Others might feel this is not positive or acceptable (to quote you).
Finally, I'll get back into the office this coming week..(no swift kick please)...I've not really been that bad!

Patty said...

"honest or tough" or the "You did great" approach was not the issue..the issue was, he did not see me as a person...only a weight...a mere question of "how was your week" could have led to a more productive discussion of whatever happened that week...so be it..I"m not coming back since I was duly chastised in the chat room for even discussing the "negative" event in the first place...

Donna said...

First of all, thank you, Dr. Posner, for addressing this issue. I have been following it in the chat room. And,to Patty, I'd like to say, in all due respect, that I don't know where you see the responses that "chastised" you for discussing your "negative event". Unless there are posts that I do not see, I see positive, supportive responses from Dr. Posner's staff and from other clients, not to mention today's blog from Dr. Posner addressing that very issue, the way you were treated. Too bad you do not want to continue on the program, and too bad Dr. Posner and his staff will be judged by what one person said to you.I know that must have upset you since it was the doctor who said it, but don't let that one person be the reason you give up on this program. You did the right thing by reporting what he said. Now, why don't you give Dr. Posner and his staff the opportunity to help you to continue your decision to help yourself. I am a client, too, and I understand your struggle. I have my own struggle with the program. I'm scared every week when I step on the scale. And, I don't want to be "bullied" by someone when I "lose the battle" that week. I want support and suggestions. But, I also know that I have received more support at this office than any diet program I have been on. I think you should give this program, and this staff, another chance.
Donna

Patty said...

Donna...try looking at the post..adressed to ME from Julia about not putting negative events on the chat room....and for your information...I do think that I was encouraged by everyone...but you are missing the point.....anyway..its over and done with!

Anonymous said...

Patty, I don't know if you will read this but...why cut off your nose to spite your face?? Come back and let the staff help you achieve your goals. Dr. P and many others get it..your feelings were hurt and that doesn't feel good. So let them make amends as I'm sure they will and let the program work for you. Don't cop out because one bad apple was in the bunch!! I've tried EVERYTHING to no avail for 5 years, but I'm in a size 6 now. It feels damn good.

Anonymous said...

Does Spdiet offer B12 shots?