Thursday, August 6, 2009

weight loss and matching exercise to intake

This morning Suzanne (yes, the famed Suzanne of blog-commentators) presented for her followup visit and she related to me that a medical issue this week precluded aggressive exercise. She still lost weight however and she told me that she adjusted her food intake (lowering) to account for the less exercise this week.

This is an important point and one we have covered before. Definitely worth mentioning again: Whether it be the metabolism slowdown as we get older or times in which exercise is less, we must adjust caloric intake to account for these changes or weight will increase. To some extent, this is a numbers game: 3500 calories to a pound....lets say you ate just 35 calories less a day for 100 days....this would account for losing 3.5 pounds a year. If you did this for 20 years, you would have lost 70 pounds! 35 calories a day is minimal....but these calories add up! So, if you are burning 200 calories less a day because of an injury, you MUST lessen that food intake to match this.

Small changes (either positive or negative) over a long period of time can result in incredible differences. I urge you to be cognizant of your exertion levels and match that food intake so as to not gain that weight back!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

It was great seeing you this morning. Glad to know you are still around.(kidding) As you know this journey is an every day struggle for some of us and when something like unability to do regular exercise comes into the schedule, it can be discouraging. I've actually missed my classes and hiking (imagine that)! I did weigh every day (for me this works) and keeping track of the weight helped me to choose foods that were healthy and satisfying. Phase One selections worked for me.
I also have been concerned about the changes around the office and being of the "younger" senior generation, we sometimes resist any change from the norm. It takes getting use to and talking with you left me feeling like you are still there for not only our weight loss needs but our medical needs. Some of us are more comfortable seeing the ones who know us best and I would not want to see this turn into the standard "weight loss center". I've been to too many of them. Most of them are there for the quantity and not the quality.
So, in finally ending, I'm in this to stay, for weight loss and maintenance. Thanks for having a great program and for writing this blog...I really am here every morning!
Can't wait until the new scale is up and running to follow my progress in another way besides the number on the scale.

Susanne said...

OOppps, that should have read...Unable to do regular exercise...:-)

Patty said...

my question then is this..why because i run 4-5 days a week for an hour or more am I told to eat more protien...i can hardly get in the 12 exchanges...i would think that the negative balance thing would work in this situation also...more out than in...right?