Wednesday, August 5, 2009

weight loss and staying fit

I am in Colorado today and Breckenridge is ata very high altitiude. Aside from having some altitude sickness headaches (i am a doctor,..i should have known better and come prepared!) I tried running this morning and lasted all of 1.75 miles and that is way off my usual 5. I was huffing and puffing....felt like I had asthma.

I used to think of myself as being in pretty decent shape for an old doctor guy, but the experience was humbling for me this morning. I started imagining now as to how a person who does not exercise at all will handle this type of environment with simple exertion such as walking.

Exercising does not only help your weight loss efforts but also helps your cardiopulmonary conditioning which could help prevent heart attacks and other life threatening situations when your body is stressed such as being at a high altitude.

I look forward to coming back and seeing you tomorrow! (huffing and puffing as he is writing this)

No comments: