Thursday, July 23, 2009

weight loss and secrecy

First, thank you Sarah for the positive comment yesterday. We are trying very hard to think of ways to get into our patients' heads everyday to help them keep their weight loss goals at the forefront of their minds, as we all know that as soon as those thoughts become distant, we will go back to old behavior patterns and the weight will go right back on,

Many of our patients tell me that they are "secretive" about their weight loss efforts, meaning they do not tell anyone they are in a weight loss program. I encourage them to try to look at this differently, meaning that they should let people know about their mission to lose weight. When your friends, family, co-workers know you are in a weight loss mode, they are more apt to be respectful and supportive of your efforts. If they are unaware of your efforts, the ususal unintentional sabotaging behaviors will continue, i.e. offering you food sources of high-calories, prodding you to eat foods that will have you gain weight, etc.

When people around you know that you are seriouslytrying to lose weight to make yourself healthier and happier, perhaps they will support your efforts by encouraging you, having healthier food choices available at their events, etc. Moreover, you may be seen as a role model for the ones who also need to lose weight. Let people know about your efforts....tyhis can be helpful to you and your loved ones!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your comment below is "right on". I've been a size 6 to almost a size 12 repeatedly throughout the past 25 years. Thanks to the program (and my own hard work)I'm back in the size 6 rack. However, I'm deathly afraid the longer out I am from success, the more likely I will be to begin GAINING again. I've done it before I can do it again. I've kept weight off for 3-5 years at times... I hope the daily blog will be what it takes to keep me on the right path.
Dr. Posner wrote:
"We are trying very hard to think of ways to get into our patients' heads everyday to help them keep their weight loss goals at the forefront of their minds, as we all know that as soon as those thoughts become distant, we will go back to old behavior patterns and the weight will go right back on,..."