Sunday, July 5, 2009

weight loss and groups

Last nite I was invited to a medical patients (not a weight loss patients) house for a cookout, and there was not one normal-weight person present there (besides myself, who needs to not be overweight least my patients will think I have no credibility.)

The great thing is that no on seemed to be intimidated that the (self-professed) guru of weight loss in Burke was there potentially observing and monitoring peoples eating behaviors there. We are talking about chips, regular sodas, beers, many bun-containing burgers/barbeque pork, and when the cookies came out (this was no more than 5 minutes after the food had been consummed) the discussion turned to which was better, the peanut butter cookies or the double chocolates. The really cool thing is that everyone was eating so much, no one made me self-conscious by not plowing it down.

What I observed last nite, was almost a "group mentality" thing. To further expalin, if some of the people there, when offered the high-caloric foods, said: "No thanks..I am trying to lose weight so I really should not have any of those...", perhaps the others who did not start out conscious of the massive calories they were ingesting would have taken a step back and curtailed thier own consumption. But last nite, with everyone (well, not the doctor, but most of the people there were lawyers, so they probably thought I was weird anyway) involbved in an eat-a-thon, it must be okay if evryone is doing it, right?

The point here is not be afriad/intimidated even in a group setting to "just say no". You may be surprised that you will have others follow suit.

1 comment:

Joanne Johnson said...

HI from the Fitness Trainer ---I also am attempting to address these issues. I find that people watch me eat and shop. Which actually helps ME make thoughtful choices!

Please - for those of you who have not visited our CHAT ROOM - this and many other issues are addressed daily --

jj