Monday, August 25, 2008

Weight Loss and Physicians

First, I wanted to announce an event that will not take place for a number of months, but this day of the year is always a very important one to me. I opened my internal medicine practice on December 5th, 1988 so this December 5th will be our 20th year anniversary of providing medical services in the Burke/Springfield/Fairfax area. I consider myslef the luckiest doctor in the entire area. I have been fortunate and privileged to attend to the medical needs of an incredible group of intelligent, fun, and wonderful patients and their families. I love coming to work and although some of my professional career has morphed into product development and weight loss centers, I never (repeat NEVER) forget that I am a primary care doctor and even to this day, my patients know that if they call me on Sunday afternoon or holiday or if they need me to see them for followup after office hours I am always there for them. Sometimes I feel that my medical patients see the marketing signs for our weight loss program and think to some extent I am giving up my internal medicine practice but this could not be further from the truth. I LOVE the internal medicine part of what I do, and yes, the weight loss program and serotonin product development have been incredibly rewarding and fun for me as well, but I still love the medical part. Anyway, I wanted everyone...patients who see me for internal medicine...patients who see Linda and I for our weight loss program to put Friday, December 5th (5 PM to 8 PM)on their calanders for our very very special Patient Appreciation Nite. We will serve healthy choices (some unhealthy ones), Karioke (this was a huge hit last year) and my GREAT staff and I will love the opportunity to tell you, in a more social atmosphere, just how much we appreciate you calling us "my doctor". We will have some great door prizes as well! (wod of the day: Anniversary)

This week I met with a physician in Manhatten and he was lamenting that for his patients who need to lose weight, he has been referring them out to weight watchers and other commercial programs but their successes have been limited. I strongly believe that physicians need to be much more proactive in helping their patients lose weight. It is not a simple matter of handing them a diet plan and expecting them to follow this. Every primary care doctor should understand the need for a comprehensive approach to helping people lose weight. We are actually on a project right now of trying to help physicians elsewhere (hey, not here....we want you coming here in the d.c. market!!!) open up weight loss centers in their own clinics. If you know of any doctor out of state that may have an interest, please call me.

No comments: