Saturday, August 23, 2008

weight gain and portion control

Hi! Sorry about yesterday....had a business trip to New York so our consecutive blog streak ended at 117....I was going for Cal Ripken's record for consecutive games, but I failed....

The Big Apple was fun. I grew up in Queens, went to medical school in Broooklyn, and upon request, can certainly do a great Nuuu Yoooork accent for you.

After one of the business meetings, I felt compelled to go back to my New York roots and I went to a N.Y city landmark...The Carnegie Deli. I ordereed a corned beef sandwich on a (word of the day:KNISH) potatoe knish and what was brought to me was about a pound of meat on this huge potatoe mound. There is no way a human being (maybe some football players) could finish this. Of course you could bring it home, but my suspician is that many people at the restaurant were tourists and did not want to carry around a bag the whole day of a 1/2 pound left over sandwich. I found myself eating more than I should have and certainly past the point of feeling hunger. The thing cost like a thousand dollars (okay, it was 28.95, but that is prety steep). By the way they do not sell half portions..it was either all or none.

Point here is that restaurants will often out in front of us tremendous quantities of food, and we need to be cognizant of our "hunger" signals and cut off our eating at that point in which we do not truly feel hunger. And it isn't just New York City places. To gain a competitive edge, many restaurants boast about their "big" portions...huge burgers, mounds of fries, etc.

I am happy to be back and a new streak of blogs has been started today...have a great weekend!

No comments: